Welcome to St Aidan’s Church
Our services will recommence on Easter Sunday (April 4th) at 10.30am
Please note that we are currently on an intereggnum
Sorry the Church is closed for private prayer (this includes St Cuthbert's Church)
A late example of a Gothic Revival church building. This very large church and its attached church hall were built at the same time with the church started in 1899 and completed by 1902. The north and south aisle arcades although pointed in form are very close to being semi-circular. The slender columns and wide spans give a very light feeling to the space they define. The fine timber roof is fully exposed internally. Pairs of decorative collar tie trusses span the nave with radiused infill beneath the tie members. Placing of the trusses in order to concentrate load close to the arcade columns has resulted in bays of unequal width which is also a visual device used to some effect. Internal furnishings and fittings are all of the period of the original build and no significant alterations have been carried out. There are some finely worked features internally, notably the carved oak pulpit with carved stone base and the carved oak font cover at the west end. The church and hall are built entirely of red sandstone with tooled quoins, window surrounds, copings etc. and with rock faced ashlar walling in narrow courses. Unusually for a church of such size there is no tower or spire. The relatively modest double bell-cote comes as something of an anti-climax.
Parish Office Telephone/Church Hall Bookings 01228 810650
(Please note the website is currently under construction and will be expanded shortly)